School Offer / SEN Information Report

Children and Families Bill 2013

The Children and Families Bill underpins wider reforms to ensure all children and young people can succeed, no matter what their background. The Bill will reform the systems for adoption, looked after children, family justice and special educational needs.

The Government is transforming the system for children and young people with special educational needs (SEN), including those who are disabled, so that services consistently support the best outcomes for them.

A child or young person has a learning difficulty or disability if he or she:

  • has a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others of the same age, or
  • has a disability which prevents or hinders him or her from making use of educational facilities of a kind, generally provided for others of the same age in mainstream schools or mainstream post-16 institutions.

As part of the SEN Reform Programme, Local Authorities must publish their Local Offer, providing a comprehensive, transparent and accessible picture of the range of services available. Local partners, including schools are required to co-operate with the Local Authority in the development and review of their Local Offer.

All Knowsley maintained schools have a similar approach to meeting the needs of pupils with special educational needs and are supported by the Local Authority to ensure that all pupils, regardless of their specific needs, make the best possible progress in school.

This document outlines our School Offer and the SEN Information required as stated in the SEN Code of Practice.

We have set out our School Offer / SEN Information Report through a series of questions through which you can get more information. You may also wish to refer to our SEN Policy for further information.  More information and support can be found following the link below to the Knowsley Family Information Service


Knowsley Borough Council can also offer advice and support regarding SEND.

Knowsley Local Offer is available on


This offer is accurate now, but services are regularly reviewed and could change.

All information will be updated as soon as possible to reflect any new service

offer. This service offer is intended to give you clear, accurate and accessible

information. If you would like to comment on the content of the offer or make

suggestions to improve the information, please contact

Knowsley Family Information Service         Email:              Call us:  0151 443 3247

Family Information Service



  1. How does the setting know if my child needs extra help?
We know if pupils need help if:

  • Concerns are raised by parents/carers, teachers or the child.
  • Limited progress is being made.
  • There is a change in the pupil’s behaviour or progress.


  1. How can I let the setting know that I am concerned about any area of my child’s development?
  • Your child’s class teacher is the initial point of contact for responding to parental concerns.
  • If after speaking with your child’s class teacher you still have concerns, you can contact the Inclusion Team: Mrs Cody (SENCO/Inclusion Manager) or Mrs Fillingham (Learning Mentor).
  • You may also wish to speak with the SEND Governor, Mrs Glennon.
  1. How will teaching be matched to my child’s needs?
We use a graduated approach to meeting an individual child’s needs.

  • For the majority of children, quality first classroom teaching will fulfil their learning needs. Some children may require the curriculum to be slightly adapted or differentiated for the individual to access the curriculum in order to make progress. They will not be on the SEND register.
  • Some children may require small group intervention from a member of the support team to bridge a learning gap or to develop strategies to overcome a particular need. They may also access some support from a TA in lessons. Teachers will differentiate the curriculum on a regular basis as a usual way of working. These students will be identified on the register as SEN Support and receive a Personal Provision Plan (PPP).
  • For a few students with more complex needs they may require more intensive and long term support in order to thrive at school. These students will have an Educational, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) which will set out clearly what provision the student needs to achieve at school. These students are also monitored by the local educational authority SEND team (Knowsley Borough Council).
  • Each pupil’s education programme will be planned by the class teacher. It will be differentiated accordingly to suit the pupil’s individual needs. This may include general support by the teacher or teaching assistant in class.
  1. How will I be informed of my child’s progress?
  •  Your child’s progress is continually monitored by his/her class teacer and their progress is reviewed formally every term.
  • Parents/carers of children receiving SEN Support will be invited to a review meeting three times per year, which will be led by the class teacher, where the previous PPP targets will be discussed and new targets set.
  • The progress of children with a statement of SEND/ EHC Plan is formally reviewed at an Annual Review with all adults involved with the child’s education.
  1. What support do you have for me as a parent to support my child?
  • The class teacher may suggest ways of how you can support your child.
  • Mrs Forrest and Mrs Fillingham may meet with you to discuss how to support your child with strategies to use if there are difficulties.
  • If outside agencies or the Educational Psychologist have been involved, suggestions and programmes of study are normally provided that can be used at home as well as in school.
  1. What support will there be for my child’s overall wellbeing?
The school offers a variety of pastoral support for pupils who are encountering emotional difficulties. These include:-

  • Members of staff such as Learning Mentor, SENCO, and class teachers are readily available for pupils who wish to discuss issues or concerns.
  • If a child has a medical need then a detailed Care Plan is compiled with support from the designated school nurse and in consultation with parents/carers. These are discussed with all staff who are involved with the pupil.
  • Staff receive Epipen training delivered by the school nurse.
  • Where necessary and in agreement with parents/carers, prescribed medicines are administered in school, but only where an assigned Medicine Consent Form is in place to ensure the safety of both child and staff member.
  • All staff have basic First Aid and Defibrillator Training.
  • Two members of staff have Paediatric First Aid Training, Full First Aid in the Workplace Training, which includes the administration of medication.
  1. What specialist service and expertise are available at or accessed by the setting to support my child?
At times it may be necessary to consult with outside agencies to receive their more specialised expertise. The agencies used by the school include:-

  • ASC Specialist Teacher
  • Educational Psychologist
  • CAMHS (Children and Adolescent Mental Health Service
  • School Attendance Service
  • Sensory Service to support children with hearing and visual impairments.
  • Speech and Language Service
  • School Nurse
  • School Health
  • Family First
  • Social Services
  • Occupation Therapy
  • Physiotherapy
  1. How accessible is your setting and how will my child be included?
Our school building is on one level and fully accessible to all. However, as a school we are happy to discuss individual access requirements that may be required to support your child. Facilities we have at present include:-

  • Ramps into school to make the building accessible to all.
  • 1 toilet adapted for disabled users.
  • 1 toilet adapted with hand rails to support EYFS and KS1 children.
  • Wide doors in some parts of the building.
  • Breakfast and After School provision is accessible to all children including those with SEND.
  • All extra-curricular activities are accessible for children with SEND.
  1. How will the setting prepare my child for transitions on to the next stage of educational and life?
We recognise that transitions can be difficult for a child with SEND and take steps to ensure that any transition is a smooth as possible.Many strategies are in place to enable the pupil’s transition to be as smooth as possible.If your child is moving to another school:

  • We will contact the school SENCO and ensure they know about any special arrangements or support that need to be made for your child.
  • We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.
  • If necessary, Social Stories will be prepared to help make the transition easier for your child.

When moving classes in school:

  • Information will be passed on to the new class teacher IN ADVANCE and in most cases, a planning meeting will take place with the new teacher. All PPPs will be shared with the new teacher.
  • Transition days in school with new classes and teachers.

When moving to secondary school:

  • Visits are arranged for pupils to visit their new school.
  • Secondary school staff visit pupils prior to them joining their new school.
  • Mrs Forrest liaises with the SENCOs from the secondary schools to pass on information regarding SEND pupils.
  • Where a pupil might have more specialised needs, a separate meeting may be arranged with Mrs Forrest, the secondary school SENCO, the parent/carers and where appropriate the pupil.
  • Mrs Forrest is always willing to meet parents and carers prior to their child joining the school.
  1. How are parents/carers/families involved in the setting?
All parents of pupils with SEND are encouraged to contribute to their child’s education. This may be through:-

  • Discussions with the class teacher.
  • During parents evenings.
  • During discussions with Mrs Forrest or Mrs Fillingham
  • During review meetings.

In addition to the above, we encourage all parents to take part in the school community. This includes:

  • Class assemblies
  • School Performances
  • Links with St John Fisher Catholic Church
  • Volunteer Reading (but not in your child’s class)
  • PTFA ( fund raising activities)
  • Parent training and workshops in connection with Knowsley Community College
  • Coffee mornings run by the class teachers and attended by the Head Teacher.
  • Weekly news letter.
  1. Who can I contact for further information?
If you wish to discuss your child’s educational needs or are unhappy about something regarding your child’s schooling, please contact the school office to arrange a meeting with Mrs Forrest. 


ASD Autistic Spectrum Disorder
CAMHS Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service
EP Educational Psychologist
IEP Individual Education Plan
INCO Inclusion Co-ordinator – organises and monitors provision for children with additional needs, which includes SEN, English as additional language and child protection.
LM Learning Mentor- supports children with social/emotional/behavioural needs.
QFT Quality First Teaching – an excellent standard of teaching, enabling all pupils to make progress.
SSEN Statement of Special Educational Need
SA School Action
SALT Speech and Language Therapy/Therapist
SAP/SA+ School Action Plus
SEN Special Educational Needs
SEN Code of Practice The legal document, which sets out the requirements for educating children with special educational needs.
SENCO Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator- organises and monitors provision for children with special educational needs.