St John Fisher: Our Vision
At St John Fisher, we strive to create a school community where children and adults achieve their full potential and SHINE! We will achieve this through engagement, high expectations and by treating all with respect and dignity.
Sports Premium 2017/2018
Since September 2013, the school has received additional funding to support Sport and P.E. in school. We are using this funding to support a range of actions, including:
- A P.E. Specialist is employed to develop the quality of P.E. teaching across the school. His role is many fold, including:
- Deliver high quality PE lessons in line with the school curriculum;
- Develop the skills of teachers during team-teaching;
- Lead extra-curricular sports and physical activities for all year groups;
- Develop inter-school competition
- Lead sports weeks
- Liaise with local clubs to develop links and provide new opportunities for the children to access
- All KS2 children, are now able to participate in swimming lessons. The current Y6 has 24 pupils who can swim 25m in a range of strokes and 21 pupils who have demonstrated safe self-rescue in the water. The remaining 7 pupils can all swim at least 10m.
- We are able to buy into the Knowsley School Sports Partnership which provided additional training for staff and an opportunity to participate in Knowsley-wide competitions.
- We are able to allow staff to attend other competitions with our sports teams, including the Premier League football competition, paying for staff cover and appropriate transport costs. This is costly when teams are successful and more time needs to be spent out of school.
- Additional resources are purchased to increase the quality of teaching and learning within PE. This ensures we are able to deliver in line with the new PE curriculum
- PE resources were purchased for whole school use at lunchtime to allow all children to be active during their free-time.
- All children experience high quality PE lessons twice a week
- All staff are developing their skills
- All Year groups represented school in local competitions, developing team spirit and experiences positive competition
- Very positive feedback from parents, regarding our sporting successes with increased involvement.
- The children have had access to a much wider range of sports than normal.
- At specific times each year, clubs are targeted towards our Pupil Premium children to ensure their involvement
- Children and parents enjoyed a competitive sports day
- The profile of PE has been significantly raised.
- HT / Subject Leader / Key Stage Leaders to quality assure the planning, delivery and evaluation of PE lessons.
- Subject Leader to conduct an audit of extra-curricular provision offered and closely monitor the children accessing clubs.
- Subject Leader to target children who have not accessed extra-curricular clubs for up to 12 months.
- Subject Leader, in line with the school’s ‘Systems for Monitoring’, ensures that the curriculum is fit for purpose, including:
- Monitoring of coverage of skills in line with new curriculum;
- Formal and informal lesson observations conducted;
- Embed the formal assessment of ‘Milestones’ for Key Stage 1 and 2, and monitor its effectiveness, celebrating and sharing good practice, offering support where needed
- Ensure best value for money when allocating Sports Premium, following consultation with all stakeholders
- Inform Governors of actions, impact and next steps
- Make Plans for allocation of funding for next academic year
Here at St John Fisher we aim to provide a fun and engaging PE curriculum, where every child has the opportunity to confidently participate and most importantly shine.
For 2019-2020 we will be focusing on:
- Competition through the Knowsley School Sports Partnership
- Providing 30mins per day of rigorous active playtime for all pupils.
- Our commitment to sport outside the realms of school hours (after-school and beyond)
- The promotion of the importance of a healthy lifestyle and balanced diet
- Maintaining the School Games Mark Silver status
PE, Sport and Physical Activity go hand-in-hand. We believe that it is vital that our children understand the importance of exercise, whether it be a game of tag on the playground to a structured PE lesson.
Take a look at this leaflet by the Association for Physical Education; it gives advice and information about the importance of being active.
In September 2017, we secured a £10,000 grant from Awards for All which enabled us to purchase and install an all-weather gym and fitness area. This equipment forms part of our playtime, lunchtime and PE lessons; yet another tool to ensure our children are active! This year, our school playing field is receiving a makeover. Once ready, we will use this space to deliver PE lessons and during break times.
We use playground equipment; from monies raised by Mr Morton’s superb effort in the 2016 New York marathon and every pupil who took part in a sponsored run around the church grounds.
In addition to this, a selection of children have been selected to be Health Champions – resulting in KSSP training as playground leaders to initiate games amongst pupils and working with the Change4Life initiative.